Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Balinese Mat

Hey Everyone!
In school I am doing Bali. This is a meditating mat(this one is not to use, just to make as a peice of art) with a Batik design on it, a popular Indonesian way of designs. This is not made in the way Batik is made, but with similar style and pattern.





Photo-
#1. Painted side of mat
#2. Close-up of a part of the design
#3. Back side of mat(yes, it is made of woven folded sheets of newspaper!)

Hope you like it!
Love Em

3 comments-click to read or write a comment:

Jacob said...

Very intricate Em, I love the little swirls coming out from the centre. Well thought out, and even better executed! Love Jake

Naomi said...

Great work!

How long did it take you to make this?

I love that it's made out of Newspaper! & yes, I agree with Jacob.
All the little swirls are just so nice.

Love heaps,Naomi
Where do you keep all of the things that you make?

Emily said...

Thanks!
With mums help(we had to hold all the newspaper strips down and make sure they were pushed all the way down etc.)we made the mat in about an hour, folding the strips took longest. The next day I painted it (mum bought metallic paints because I would need them alot in the bali unit).
Love Em
Some things, like this one, go on the wall, most of the drawings stay in my art book(I scan them to put them online) and the little things like felting go on my shelf or my desk.